"Betty Leopard": On a happier note

Wednesday, 29 December 2010

On a happier note

I didn't want to write twice in one day, but I wanted to take away the morbid after taste of my last two posts and I've also been meaning to post some things for a while and if I don't do it soon I may never get round to it!
As part of my festive preparations I undertook some baking. I very much enjoy baking, part of my love of creating and my massive sweet tooth :) Due to the fact that a few of my friends are vegan and Pete doesn't eat dairy, I usually bake vegan. It's not as hard as it sounds and certainly doesn't detract from the quality of the finished products. I have a number of vegan baking books, mostly cupcakes and cookies. My most recent acquisition was The Vegan Cookie Connisseur by Kelly Peloza, a vast collection of cookie recipes ranging from the traditional to the novel. My fovourites so far, and I'm far from having tried all the recipes, are the Carrot Cake Cookies.
Grated carrot and sugar.

 
Carrot and sugar with vegtable oil and molasses added. Vegetable oil is used as a butter replacement, some recipes also use vegan margarine (Pure or Vitalite are both dairy free).

 Adding flour and ground flaxseed brings the mixture together to a dough. Ground flazseed is often used in vegan baking as an egg replacer to bind a dough together.

The dough can then be shaped and placed on baking trays to be cooked :)

 When I first made these cookies I got around 13 out of the batch. As I wanted enough to cover a couple of festive occassions I doubled the recipe this time and ended up with about 32 cookies!

The carrot cake cookies are usually wonderfully chewy but are crisp on the outside. I must have not stored them properly this time as they went quite dry quite quickly, although they aren't stale and are still perfectly edible, they aren't as gooey and delicious as before. The recipe actually recommends making them into sandwich cookies with cream cheese frosting. So far I have not taken this advice for two reasons 1) because I really don't think they need the extra calories and 2) because vegan cream cheese isn't the easiest thing to come by in the UK (it is available online but that would require much forward planning in my baking).

I also made gingerbread men, but as this is already quite a lengthy post, I think I'll leave that for another time.
Ciao,
Betty
x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)