"Betty Leopard": Knits

Tuesday, 20 September 2011

Knits

Since my post about the onset of Autumn I have been a bit obsessed with knitwear. This months budget hasn't allowed for me to buy any yet, but I've done an awful lot of browsing and have been picking out the things I'd like to get when I have some pennies.
I love knitwear, just the thought of a big snugly knitted jumper makes me feel cosy and safe and warm :) I'm looking for something big and chunky and maybe something oversized too. As much as I love clothes, I'm not sure if I'm that bothered about 'fashion'. I'd always rather go for something I like and that suits my own personal style, rather than something that's 'in'. I don't even know what's fashionable in knitwear anyway. Plus, when it comes to knits I'm old enough to appreciate the practical side of getting something that's actually warm, although style does still come into it.
Anyway, I thought I'd share some of the things I've been contemplating, in some different price ranges (NB. The price ranges are set by me according to my budget and willingness to pay).


Budget Options
1. F&F Limited Edition Stripe Body Knitted Jumper. Tesco. £18
2. Brave Soul Open Knit Cowl Neck Jumper. Tesco. £20
3. Ladies Stripe and Ladder Jumper. Peacocks. £20

I actually really like all of these jumpers, which is good, as they're the ones I'm most likely to be able to afford. I've always been a sucker for black and white and stripes, almost as much as for leopard print. All three look like they have good, chunky, cosy knits, but I'd have to see them and get hands on to be sure, budget options can often be disappointing 'in the flesh'. The cowl neck on the middle one looks especially warm.

Mid-Range Knits


1. Pink Swing Aran Knit Jumper. River Island. £35
2. Green Fisherman's Jumper. Dorothy Perkins. £28
3. Foil Print Jumper. Dorothy Perkins. £35

This selection is a bit more colourful, although I still have a preference for blacks, whites and greys at the moment. I like the pattern of the knit on the first one, and I didn't quite get my fill of coral over the summer. My only concern would be the length, there's a lot of cropped jumpers around at the moment that just don't do anything for me, and this one look a little on the short side. I my opinion a jumper needs to keep me warm, I don't want a cold middle. Looking at it now, I'm not totally sure why I chose the green one, probably trying to avoid an all grey selection. When I first saw the foil print jumper I wasn't too keen, but it has grown on me a lot, and now I really like the idea of a glitzy jumper, making knitwear a bit more glam.




Pricey Option
1. Black Fairisle Long Sleeve Jumper. River Island. £40
2. Sequin Stripe Top. Oasis. £50
3. Knitted Loose Stitch Jumper. Topshop. £40

I just love the fairisle jumper. I love the colours, I love the pattern, I love the shape. It's almost exactly the type of jumper I was looking for. If it wasn't £40 I'd have bought it already. Another glitzy option in there too, even shinier than the last one, I can totally see me wearing this around Christmas. Plus another colour boost. Great colour and looks super cosy too. All three look nice and long, which I've already said I like in a jumper. They are all pretty pricey from my point of view, but that probably does mean they'll be better quality.

I might try and have a trawl around the actual shops in the next few days to see what I can see. It's always better to get hands on with things before you buy them, it's hard to assess quality online and sizes can be really variable.
My area isn't particularly good for charity shop finds, I'd love to find a bargain in an old cable knit or aran jumper or something in faux fur, I'm mad on faux fur right now, but that's probably too much to hope for.

Has anyone found any bargain winter staples?

Thanks for stopping by,
Betty
x

3 comments:

  1. I'm hunting for the perfect knits at the moment too. The RI black and white fairisle is lovely, I keep seeing it and I think it might be the one I eventually get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh I think I'm going to have to 'invest' in the RI one. Maybe get one of the cheap options and that one, I would wear it so much!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    Betty
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting on my LOOK Show post - glad you enjoyed it.

    Can't wait to start wearing winter clothes. Want to buy some jumpers like this to wear with heavy, chiffon maxi skirts.

    www.dressingmissdolly.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)