"Betty Leopard": Matte & Gloss

Saturday, 17 December 2011

Matte & Gloss

Apologies for not posting at all this week. I have really wanted to but have been so busy preparing for Christmas and Christmas related events; most significantly the My Street Chic Christmas Blogger Party on Friday in Bristol (I shall post about that later though).
So this is a post is one I lined up last weekend, before my super busy week, of two items I picked up during the week. I quite liked the contrast between the two so thought I'd combine them in one post.



I've been very interested in trying out matte nail polish for a while, but always seemed to forget to look at matte top coats whenever I was in Boots/Superdrug. Last week I finally remembered and picked up the Rimmel Pro Matte Coat in Boots. At £4.95 I don't think it's particularly expensive, especially as it will give you as many matte shades as you have existing nail polishes (so, I have now doubled my nail polish stash!!).
I knew my first try would have to be on a black polish, there was just something so classy and appealing about a matte black nail. I'm really happy with the finished effect. The bottle has a nice wide brush which helps make the polish really easy to apply. The matte finish begins to develop really quickly, although this does give a false impression of being quick drying; I did mine late-ish at night and though it was dry before bed but woke up with fabric impressions in my nails (this was easily solved with another coat of the matte polish in the morning however). An added benefit of the top coat is that it makes your polish last longer, at least it did for me. The bottle says up to 10 days, I got about 5 out of mine without any chips, which is quite a long time for me!

Rimmel Pro Matte Top Coat over M&S Autograph Nail Polish in Black

I haven't had the time to try it out on other polishes yet, but will hopefully find some spare time tomorrow, if I can make a decision on what polish colour to try next! I also like the idea of trying out a black matte nail with a black gloss leopard print over the top, it sounds awesome in my head, if I can pull it off.
I think I'll be getting through quite a lot of this stuff, although maybe not until after Christmas now as I have a lot of glittery festive shades that are just crying out to be used at this time of year!

I just looked and Boots have a 3 for 2 offer on Rimmel at the moment, so it could be a good time to try this out!



As I mentioned, two contrasting items, moving from matte to gloss!
I'm sure by now a lot of you have heard about these lipglosses, from Models Own in  association with Diet Coke, that you can get free when you buy two bottles of Diet Coke from Boots until December 27th. For those of you that haven't, well, you have now!
There are four shades available, all of which are pretty appealing, but the red was always top of my list! So when I was in Boots and feeling a bit thirsty, it was a bit of a no-brainer!
I'm totally in love with it! So much so that I'm a bit worried about what I'll do when it runs out and they are no longer available in Boots! The colour is great, you can apply it as thin or thick as you like, for a more subtle or bold effect. I've been applying it a bit thicker for a bolder, red lipstick look. It lasts as well as any lipgloss and keeps your lips moisturised unlike some lipsticks. Obviously the ultimate benefit is that it was free!! The only possible downside is the smell, it isn't really bad, but it's a bit chemically and weird, but does fade pretty quickly after application.

Me out ice skating with Pete (L) and getting ready for a Christmas meal (R)
I would like to get my hands on another, although I would be torn between another red and the pink. I also don't know if I'll be able to get to a Boots again between now and New Year :( I will be very sad when I run out of this.
If you happen to be in or near a Boots I would really recommend you get yourself a couple of bottles of Diet Coke, I'm more of a Pepsi girl myself, but it's not often you get the chance to pick up a Models Own lipgloss for free!!

Hope you are all well and getting ready for the festive season!
Love,
Betty
x

2 comments:

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)