"Betty Leopard": Wish List: Books

Monday, 5 December 2011

Wish List: Books

I love books. I buy a lot of books, I read a lot of books and I give a lot of books as presents.
Now, I'm sure there are some of you out there who don't consider books to be good gifts, but a thoughtfully selected book can be the best present. Fair enough, some of the little novelty books they have by the tills in book shops can be a bit of a waste of a (small) tree, but even then, if the joke is appropriate, it can still be a good gift.

One problem I have with giving books as gifts is that, for every book I find to give to someone else, I find at least two I want for myself! So, for anyone out there thinking of getting me a Christmas present who is stuck for ideas, here is a brief run-down of some of the books currently loitering on my Amazon wishlist.

In no particular order;

1. The Hip Girl's Guide to Homemaking by Kate Payne

I only found out about this book a week or so ago when I saw it reviewed in the latest edition of Mollie Makes, and it went straight on to my wishlist. It has airs of Domestic Sluttery (which I love and still need to write about), cheap and easy ways to get on with being domestic without it taking over your life.















2. Outsider Tart: Baked in America by David Muniz and David Lesniak

What better than being a Domestic Slut and an Outsider Tart (combined with Happy Hooking, there seems to be a downward turn in the morals of domesticity).
As you should know by now, I love to bake and eat cake, so this book is pretty perfect. The recipes inside are described as 'decadent' and cover all my favourites from cupcakes to brownies and cookies.
The obvious American influence suggests a significant calorie content as well.













3. Chic on a Shoestring by Mary Jane Baxter

Another book for living a stylish but budget lifestyle, with an added vintage twist. Bringing together my other loves of clothes, accessories, crafting and vintage styling.

















4. How to Make Jewellery with Tatty Devine by Rosie Wolfenden and Harriet Vine

Oh look, more crafting and accessories! What can I say, I know what I like!
I've always been a fan of Tatty Devine jewellery, although so far haven't ever had enough excess cash to buy myself any. So, this book seems like a good solution, make my own TD inspired pieces and keep myself occupied in the mean time.















5. Preserves: A Beginner's Guide to making jams and jellies, chutneys and pickles, sauces and ketchups, syrups and alcoholic sips by Jill Nice

I really enjoyed my first attempt at making jam earlier this year. While I still have quite a lot of what I made left, I'm keen to find out more about jams and preserving so I can try something different next time.
This book seems pretty comprehensive and I like the cover (not that I'm judging...).














6. CakeSpy presents Sweet Treats for a Sugar Filled Life by Jessie Oleson


I may have a bit of a cake obsession, but as long as part of that obsession is filled with cake related books, I should be safe from obesity and diabetes for a while.
I've been a reader of the CakeSpy blog for quite a while now, and when I heard she was publishing a book I knew I would have to have it.
Yet more high calorie american baking goodness, all wrapped up in a pink cartoon-y shell. Perfect :)












7. Bossypants by Tina Fey


Something a bit different.
I like Tina Fey, I have heard good things about this book. Not much more to say!















At present, there are 151 books on my Amazon Wishlist, so I think I'll leave you with just this selection for now. The rest are a pretty eclectic mix of brief introductions to...., popular science, lifestyle, autobiography, fiction, craft and a lot of things in between.

I'll leave you with this video of a kid who doesn't want books for Christmas, just because I think it's funny.


Best Wishes,
Betty
x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)