"Betty Leopard": Hannah Banana: THE Vegan Cake Lady

Saturday, 21 April 2012

Hannah Banana: THE Vegan Cake Lady

Recently, I was lucky enough to win a competition run by Hannah Banana Bakery to celebrate her reaching 2000 Facebook followers. My prize was a 9 inch cake of my choice!
Hannah Banana Bakery is based in Southampton and is run by Hannah who single handedly creates beautiful  cakes, cupcakes, cakepops, cookies, cheesecakes, wedding cakes and even chocolates, that are all vegan and can also meet other dietary requirements such as being gluten free, sugar free or soy free! I have followed her on Facebook for a long time and her cakes are always amazingly creative, beautifully decorated and consistently receive fantastic reviews. In March this year she even won first prize in the Vegan Cupcake category at Bournemouth Cupcake Camp!
I am super envious of her, not only because her cakes look and taste better than mine, but because she started training and setting the business up while still finishing her PhD - I'm in the final 9 months of my PhD and I can't imagine doing anything alongside it, I only just manage to squeeze in blogging!!

For my prize I selected a red velvet cake with 'cream cheese' frosting, but it was a hard choice as she has a fantastic range of yummy flavours. It wasn't for a particular occasion, I just love cake, so booked my prize in for the earliest available time (as a one-woman show, and being in high demand, she can get quite busy so it's wise to make a booking well in advance!). I collected my cake, I'm not sure but I think all large cakes need to be collected, but her smaller treats can be posted, even her cupcakes thanks to some pretty ingenious packaging!


The cake was beautifully presented and came in a great box that I am totally going to reuse, she even finished it off with cute little red heart sprinkles and a 'Made with Love' ribbon. My cake was very simple so is by no means any measure of her talent (check out the gallery on her website to see just some of her amazing decorating skills!), but I still loved it!
Obviously, with a cake, looks are important but are far from everything. Some people may be suspicious of vegan cakes, but you shouldn't be, especially not if they're made by Hannah. Honestly, if you didn't know, I doubt you would notice any difference between a vegan cake and a 'normal' cake. The texture was great, not heavy or cloying, really moist and very, very yummy - I could probably have eaten a whole bowl of the frosting (not that the cake wasn't good, but I bloomin' love frosting!!). I had intended to share it with work colleagues, but instead my boyfriend and I polished it off all by ourselves  :/ (over a few days, not all in one go).




Hannah is really lovely and so hard working, and she produces great results! I will definitely be buying cake from her again, and will recommend her far and wide. If I can come up with a good idea, I would love to commission her to make my birthday cake :)
I'm also going to be lucky enough to learn some of Hannah's decorating skills, as she's been kind enough to donate her time to run the cupcake decorating at my WI group, the Sotonettes, next week. I am very excited.

Hannah has a blog where you can keep up to date with her new cake recipes and ideas, her seasonal creations and events where she will be selling cakes. She also posts vegan recipes on Lasthours.org.uk - here.
Thank you so much Hannah! I tried to think of a good Bon Jovi reference to get in here somewhere, but I just couldn't make it work :/ Hannah- her cakes are tres bon (jovi).........

Hope you are all having a good weekend,
Love




PS. Apologies for the lighting in the pictures, my flat is so dark but my flash is so bright :/

1 comment:

  1. ★ (・∀・)

    love pictures on your blog :) very nice layout. clean and charming. love your blog.

    my blog (≧∀≦) σ : http://www.christianyuen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)