"Betty Leopard": HQ Hair and Japonesque

Sunday, 8 July 2012

HQ Hair and Japonesque

I was recently contacted by the people at Japonesque about the launch a range of their products on HQHair.com. 
I had obviously heard of Japonesque before, largely due to their almost cult following in the twitter and blogging communities. 

Unsurprisingly however (if you know me by now), I have never owned or used a Japonesque product. I wrote a blog post a while ago about make-up brushes in which I explained how I've never really owned any proper brushes, in part due to the fact that I don't consider myself skilled enough in the make-up department to know how to use them properly.

I don't think I have heard anything but good things about their tools and brushes, and so was pretty excited to be contacted by them and offered some free items to play with.

I was sent three items to have a go with; a  Pro Brow/Lash comb, a Pro Angled Brow Definer brush and a pair of Artisan Tweezers.



Now, my eyebrows are probably one of my least favourite features. I seriously over-plucked them as a teenager and they don't grow in the same way, so it's really hard to make them look neat and symmetrical :/ 

As such, I had mixed feelings about these products. First - Great! I need all the help I can get in managing my eyebrows! Second - Shit! This means I'll have to photograph my eyebrows and put them on the blog!

I was really excited to get my hands on the products. Even just in the boxes they look so beautiful and special, it took me quite a while to open them up and get them out. 
The brushes are both beautiful with their matte black and silver handles as well as well-weighted and nice to hold. The tweezers are equally beautiful with a pink enamel finish, and nice to hold.

I have had a pair of Ruby & Millie tweezers for ages that I have thought to be really great, so I was wondering how much better these ones could be (especially with their £16 price tag!). I was pleasantly surprised though; they were easy to use, precise and easy to grip hairs with. So I was actually pretty impressed with them. The £16 RRP still sticks in my mind though, although I was put at ease a little on finding out the Artisan Tweezer Reconditioning Program, by which you can send your tweezers off for free sharpening. So really, you shouldn't ever need another pair of tweezers again.
I do also really like the range of colours they come it. The pink is great, but if I'd had the choice I'd obviously have gone for the cheetah print ;)



I also really liked using the Angled Brow Definer brush. I only started defining my brows last year when I got the HD Brow kit in a GlossyBox, and since then I've only used the tiny brush included in the palette to do so. Again, I wasn't sure how much difference a proper brush would make. However, on using the brush I was amazed at how much better and easier it was to do my brows neatly with this brush. The longer handle obviously helped, as did the nice weighting and balance of the brush in my hand. I also felt it was easier to build up the colour in my brows with this brush and avoid making them look too heavy.
The Angled Brow Definer is £10.50 on HQHair.com, which I don't think is too bad a price for what is a great brush.



It's harder to comment on the Brow/Lash Comb, as it's the one I have the least use for. I don't really have enough in the way of eyebrows to need to brush them, but I have used the comb for my lashes as I curl them. From the use I have got out of the comb it's as nice to use as the brow brush, nicely proportioned, well weighted and easy to use. 
The Brow/Lash Comb is available on HQHair.com for £9.75.



From what I can tell, the two brushes I was sent are animal hair, and it would be a lie if I said this wasn't a concern for me. It would seem that Japonesque do have some synthetic brushes, which tend to specify in the descriptions (on HQHair.com anyway) that they are synthetic. Personally, I don't really understand why we are still using animal hair in make-up brushes when we can make really great quality synthetic brushes. If I am going to buy anything from Japonesque, or any other brand, I will ensure that it is synthetic - it would be nice if brands were a bit more up front about what their brushes are made from too as it's not always clear where animal hair is used.

I would say I have been largely converted to a Japonesque fan though. Although I haven't been aware of the availability of different products in the UK before now, according to the press release I was sent items such as the Professional Kabuki Brush, Professional Fan Brush and Medium Train Case are all now available in the UK for the first time, through HQHair.com which some of you more devoted Japonesque fans may be more excited about!

If you haven't already, head over to HQHair.com and check out what they have on offer. Japonesque is just one of many great brands available on the website, plus they seem to have an offer of for a free gift when you spend £10 (which isn't hard!!). I haven't bought anything from them myself, so can't say anything about their service but their prices are comparable to other online beauty stores and also have free delivery, so I should think I will try them out when I have some cash to splash.

Love,



PS. You'll have to take my word  that my brows looked great using these tools, I chickened out of photographing them :/

1 comment:

  1. We need to see your brows please!! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)