"Betty Leopard": Butternut Squash Cupcakes

Sunday, 16 September 2012

Butternut Squash Cupcakes

I like experimenting with slightly unusual recipes and ingredients. I saw a recipe for butternut squash cupcakes ages ago, but it was only a few days ago, when I had some left over butternut that needed using, that I got around to giving it a go.

The recipe is really simple and the cakes turned out really well. The final product is reminiscent of a sticky toffee pudding, sweet and sticky, dark coloured and dense but still soft and not cloying.

Butternut Squash Cupcakes
200g Butternut Squash (skinned, de-seeded and cut into cubes)
175g Soft Dark Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
150g Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
90ml Oil
Pinch of salt

  • Place the cubed butternut into a blender/mixer and blend until very finely chopped


  • Place blended butternut into a bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients. Take care not to over-mix


  • Spoon mixture into cupcake cases and bake at 180 degrees C for 20 to 25 minutes.


  • Allow to cool then decorate. I just put a simple icing on mine, but you can do a buttercream or cream cheese frosting would also work well, or, given the sticky toffee pudding like taste, a toffee sauce would be awesome!


My brown sugar was a little lumpy and I didn't take enough time to make sure it was all mixed properly, but that meant a lot of the cakes have little spots of melted brown sugar caramel in them, so that worked out ok! I might try a little less sugar next time actually, to see if I can make them a little less sticky. 
As I baked such a huge batch I had to sent half into work with my boyfriend, mostly to save me from myself as I would have eaten many more cakes than would have been good for me :/

I have a few more vegetable based cake recipes up my sleeve that I hope to be able to try out soon. It's great to surprise people by telling them that they just ate veg in a cake.

I also have a lot of posts lined up that I need to write, but so many things seem to be getting between me and blogging lately :( Hopefully I'll get a couple more in this week.

Hope you are well.
Love,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)