"Betty Leopard": I had a scream!

Friday, 2 November 2012

I had a scream!

It's no secret that Halloween is one of my favourite occasions of the year. I love the dressing up, themed food and cheesy not-very-scary camp horror (not so much the proper scary horror).

As Halloween fell on a Wednesday this year, we only had a small gathering of a few friends, a few drinks, loads of cake and a scary movie. I would have quite happily gone with Tucker and Dale Vs Evil (if you haven't seen it you really should) but we ended up watching The Woman in Black. Everyone spent the week telling me how scary and jumpy it was, so I was pretty scared to watch it, but it honestly wasn't that bad - thankfully.

I struggled to come up with a costume idea this year, especially as I'm working on limited funds. My dilemma was resolved thanks to The Vintage Fair who ran a competition to win a Pearls & Swine Devil Horn Fascinator, which I won! So that obviously had to be the centre piece of whatever I wore. In the end I just went for a demon type look, pale face, dark eyes, dark lips, blood and horns.


My boyfriend Pete dressed up as some kind of scary Viking warrior. He completely covered his face in fake blood. Fortunately it was slightly easier to get off than the masses of black face paint he wore last year that took forever to scrub out of his beard. It's probably a good job we didn't get any trick-or-treaters.


I also did a fair bit of baking. We recently had a new oven fitted in our flat, and I was very excited to find out how much better it was at baking cakes than the old one. They turned out fantastically :)
In recent weeks I seem to have had a fair amount if luck in competitions I have entered. As well as the horned fascinator, I also won a Halloween Modelling Kit from Renshaw. The Kit was only available to buy at The Cake & Bake Show, or through this competition, so I was pretty excited to have won one! Fondant modelling has never been a strong point of mine, but I gave it a go. The ghosts and pumpkins were much easier than the witches hat, black cat or spider, so I mostly stuck to those.
I went a little crazy on the decorating front and used a mixture of rice paper eyeballs, sprinkles, plastic toppers, fondant models and fondant covered biscuit shapes. Oh yeah, and edible glitter, lots of edible glitter!!


Of course we had pumpkins too! We were both set on out-doing last years efforts. Mine didn't work out to be quite as impressive as I had intended, and Pete very nearly bit off more than he could chew. In our own tradition, our pumpkins go to the vote to see whose is best - based on judgement of our guests, I think I won this year. What do you think? Mine is the haunted house, Pete's is the howling wolf.


I hope you all had a great Halloween. It is a great excuse for a party, some indulgence and a bit of silliness :) Any good ideas for next year's fancy dress would be more than welcome!

Next event on the calendar - Thanksgiving! So I've only got a few weeks to work off all of the Halloween cupcakes before then :/

Love,


3 comments:

  1. Amazing costume lovely and those cupcakes look amazinggg

    Eda ♥

    Candyfloss Curls, Cupcakes & Couture

    @BloggerEda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pumpkins are AH-mazing! I love the haunted house one. Sounds like a really fun night :) We watched Cabin in the Woods which fulfilled all my Whedon fangirliness for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing, nice and inspirating blog!

    http://sugar-steps.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)