"Betty Leopard": Freedom, Sweet, Sweet Freedom

Friday, 1 March 2013

Freedom, Sweet, Sweet Freedom

Dear Readers,

I am positively delighted to be able to announce that I finished and submitted my PhD thesis yesterday! While this isn't the end of the process and I don't get to call myself Doctor Betty yet, it does mean I don't have to look at or even think about it for a while.

As I don't have a job to go to just yet (not for want of trying!), I now have some time off - some of the first proper time off I've had in four years, with no guilt or anxiety of work hanging over me. I have to say, it's pretty brilliant :)

My celebrations so far have been pretty low key. I am immensely happy to have finished, but it all still seems quite unreal and dreamlike, plus all the effort of finishing has left me really tired.

Last night I stayed in with Pete and Alf and we had Indian take-away and a lovely bottle of Prosecco that my Mum and Dad sent for me, along with some pretty flowers, to say well done.



Today I have been quite lazy, enjoying being able to lie-in guilt-free, then I went out for a walk with Pete and Alf for the first time in ages. It was pretty cold but there are signs of spring coming through, including some crocuses beginning to emerge from the grass.


I have a few plans for what to do with my time, some of which aren't so exciting (like tidying up all the mess I've been putting off while I finished up) and some of which are a bit more interesting (including getting back to blogging and some new ideas I have for posts!). In the next few days I'm definitely looking forward to being able to read something that isn't a scientific paper. I have several books, comics and graphic novels that I have accrued in recent months and am very much looking forward to reading.




Thank you all so much for sticking around during my absence, which was a fair bit longer than I intended. I hope you will like what I have planned.

Love

2 comments:

  1. I just found this post and first of all it seems fitting to say a MASSIVE congratulations! I don't know what you studied (sorry, first time here but i'm glad i found you) but a PHD is such a huge achievement! I'm doing a masters and i totally get the lack of reading novels as you feel so guilty don't you! I can't find a career related job either at the mo, so annoying and im actually sick of interviews. Well done, congratulations and enjoy your future xXXx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, and congratulations!!! I looked at your blog during your hiatus, and I've been waiting for your big comeback! I can't imagine what that freedom must feel like, but hopefully you'll take your time and enjoy doing nothing for a while. Finishing a PhD thesis is a commendable achievement, so more congrats!!!

    Jordan
    http://jordansvintagekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)