"Betty Leopard": A Very British Summer - Iced Teas and Tea Cocktails with TeaPigs

Friday, 7 June 2013

A Very British Summer - Iced Teas and Tea Cocktails with TeaPigs

Never fear tea fans, you can still enjoy your favourite beverage in the heat of the glorious British summer!

I was recently sent a selection of teas from Teapigs, who were looking for bloggers to help take tea beyond the classic hot drink and give it a bit of a summer makeover in the form of some iced tea and tea based cocktail ideas.

I was really interested  in this opportunity as I'm not your standard tea drinker - I'm not a big fan of regular tea, preferring herbal and fruit infusions, and I also don't really like drinking tea hot. I know, I'm odd. So anyway, iced teas and tea cocktails sounded right up my street.

It didn't take me long to come up with my ideas, but I was unfortunately delayed in posting this as it took a while for any summer weather to appear for me to take my pictures!

I was sent samples of their Darjeeling Earl Grey (Himalayan Darjeeling and Begamot), Chai Tea (Assam Tea, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Ginger and Cassia), Chamomile Flowers (just Chamomile Flowers), Peppermint Leaves (just Peppermint Leaves) and Super Fruit (Blackcurrants, Cranberries, Blueberries and Elderberries).



Here are the conconctions I came up with;

Super Fruit Cooler

TeaPigs Super Fruit Cooler

The Super Fruit tea was lovely so I wanted to keep the initial recipe simple. This was very refreshing :)

  • Super Fruit Tea Bag brewed in boiling water and left to cool
  • Top up with lemonade, soda water or sparkling water.
  • I added frozen raspberries instead of ice and a strawberry for garnish
Or, for a grown-up twist - Super Duper Fruit Cooler, as above with an added splash of Chambord! 
I'm pretty sure you could also harden the recipe up with a shot of vodka, or, if you're feeling especially crazy, substitute the lemonade/soda water/sparkling water for sparkling wine/champagne.

Super Duper Fruit Cooler


Chamomile and Elderflower Iced Tea

Chamomile Flower and Elderflower Iced Tea
 Chamomile and Elderflower seemed like a perfect classic combination for an iced tea to enjoy in the sunshine. I felt like this was the kind of drink that should be produced from a wicker picnic basket and enjoyed in a wildflower meadow, but that's probably just me being overly romantic.
  • I made up a huge batch of this with 3 Chamomile Flower teabags brewed in boiling water and left to cool. One cool I poured it into a lovely glass bottle and topped up with some cold water before popping it into the fridge.
  • To serve I topped up with sparkling elderflower, but you could use an elderflower cordial and lemondade/soda/sparkling water, or skip the elderflower altogether if you like.
  • As with the Super Fruit cooler, you could add sparkling wine/champagne instead of lemonade/soda/sparkling water

Classic Iced Tea

Classic Iced Tea

This is a very simple recipe for a classic iced tea. What I really wanted to do was a Long Island Iced Tea with real tea but I didn't have all the ingredients - when I have the cash to buy them all I think I will have to give it a go.

  • Darjeeling Earl Grey teabag brewed in boiling water and left to cool.
  • Served with ice and lemon
If I had have had all the fixings for a Long Island Iced Tea with real tea it probably would have been something like this;

  • Equal parts Vodka, Gin, Light Rum, Tequila, Triple Sec
  • Lemon Juice
  • Sugar Syrup
  • Sweet and Sour Mix
  • Topped up with Iced Darjeeling Earl Grey
  • Served over ice with lemon

Mo-tea-to

Mo-tea-to

A twist on a mojito with the addition of mint tea instead of muddled mint leaves. I love mojitos and mint tea, so this was one of the first ideas I came up with - it would be equally as nice without the alcohol if you're not a drinker, or if it's too early in the day to justify it.

  • Peppermint Leaves teabag brewed in boiling water and allowed to cool.
  • 1 shot of vodka or light rum (I personally prefer vodka mojitos)
  • 1 or 2 shots of Iced Peppermint Leaf tea
  • Sugar to taste
  • Topped up with lemonade/soda water, ice and mint leaves as garnish
This is another recipe where you can substitute the lemonade/soda water for sparkling wine/champagne if the mood takes you!



Chai Aye Captain

Chai Aye Captain
This is probably my favourite, partly because I'm a big fan of spiced rum and also because I was very pleased with myself for thinking up the name. 

  • Rum - I used Morgan's Spiced because it was what I had, but you could use any light or dark rum
  • Add Chai teabag(s) and leave to infuse - I left this for a day, but it is just one teabag in a small glass - if you are using a whole bottle of rum and multiple teabags I suggest keeping an eye on it and tasting to check how well infused it is.
  • I served this with coke over ice
Do you think you'll be trying any of these out? Or do you have a great iced tea or tea cocktail of your own?

Lots of Love,


2 comments:

  1. Oooh! Sounds lovely!
    Great idea, using teas in cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound amazing.
    I am a huge fan of tea but have never had it cold or iced. But I do like a cocktail so what's better than two of my favourite things.. tea and cocktails!
    Will be giving these a try.
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)