"Betty Leopard": Halloween 2013

Monday, 4 November 2013

Halloween 2013

Halloween this year was not quite as much of an event for me as it had been in previous year.
A combination of factors including our recent move, work and a lousy mood that overcame me for most of last week meant I didn't have the time, effort or cause for a big fuss.

I got to dress up a bit on the Wednesday when I helped with children's craft activities at the National Trust property where my mum works. I wore the same Pearls & Swine Devil Horn fascinator as last year because, well, there aren't exactly a great range of occasions when one can wear a devil horn fascinator. It was an enjoyable but very tiring day - something in the order of 120 kids got involved in making Halloween Trick or Treat bags and kept me on my feet (in heels) for 6 straight hours without a break! 

On Halloween itself I found time to bake a cake; orange with chocolate fudge frosting. I'm not sure what happened but my first attempt went horribly wrong and barely rose at all. That one had to be consigned to waste and I had a second go that was marginally more successful. I was rather disappointed as it was a recipe I have used several times before and has always produced brilliant light, fluffy sponge. It was perfectly edible and tasted nice, but it fell short of my expectations and I don't get on well with baking failures :(

My Halloween Orange and Chocolate cake, with pumpkin, ghost and bat sprinkles

As I had been quite busy I was rather tired, that combined with my low mood meant I didn't really feel like going to the cinema in the evening, so we didn't get to see Frankenstein. Again, I'm a little disappointed in myself now that I didn't feel up to it. Fortunately there is another opportunity to see it, this time with Jonny Lee Miller as The Creature, later in the month, so I hope to still get to see it.
Instead, Pete and I carved pumpkins (also rather delayed by being do busy) and watched The Walking Dead. We're a bit late to The Walking Dead and are only on Season 2 at the moment, only 2 episodes from the end of the season now. I was even quite lack-lustre in my pumpkin carving and stuck with a fairly classic scary face. It was still a nice evening and appropriately Halloween-y.

Pete's Spooky Ale
My Demon Face pumpkin and Pete's Alf inspired design
Alf was a little unsure of his pumpkin doppelgänger

Apologies for the poor quality of the photographs. Taking pictures with my camera is another thing I've not been so good at lately, so these are just ones I have taken with my iPod. If you want to see more pictures from me you can follow me on Instagram.

I hope you all had a good Halloween, whatever you did or didn't get up to :)


Listening to: Alkaline Trio (the only band for Halloween)
Watching: The Walking Dead, Season 2
Reading: Wuthering Heights (I've been reading this for ages and am trying to slog through the last few chapters)


Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading. I do love your comments so please feel free to leave one :)